Book Reviews

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Inamorata by Megan Chance



Amazon Book Description

 August 1, 2014
American artist Joseph Hannigan and his alluring sister, Sophie, have arrived in enchanting nineteenth-century Venice with a single-minded goal. The twins, who have fled scandal in New York, are determined to break into Venice’s expatriate set and find a wealthy patron to support Joseph’s work.
But the enigmatic Hannigans are not the only ones with a secret agenda. Joseph’s talent soon attracts the attention of the magnificent Odilé Leon, a celebrated courtesan and muse who has inspired many artists to greatness. But her inspiration comes with a devastatingly steep price.
As Joseph falls under the courtesan’s spell, Sophie joins forces with Nicholas Dane, the one man who knows Odilé’s dark secret, and her sworn enemy. When the seductive muse offers Joseph the path to eternal fame, the twins must decide who to believe—and just how much they are willing to sacrifice for fame.


Review

I found this story one of my harder ones to review. You see, I switched back and forth between the ebook and the audio, all depending on where and what I was doing at the time. The author told this story between four different characters. Each chapter announced who was speaking. Each character bringing their own unique view to the story. I don't think the story would have been as complete or as interesting if it was told only by one point of view. And yet, had I not had the audio to give me voices to distinguish the characters I think I would have been confused and lost jumping from character to character. Though, again I reiterate, if it had been told from one point of view the story itself would be greatly lacking. 

Once I had those voices of each character in my head, I was totally lost in this story. Coming back to it greedily, reading at every opportunity I had. Even listening to it while I cooked, gardened or watch my children play. 

The author easily calling up pictures of Venice in my head, though I have never been there and have only seen a few picture to use as reference. I also I found my curiosity of what secrets the characters were holding, utterly striking that I had a hard time putting the book down or even to press pause on the audio version. 

All in all great characters, plot and description. But I HIGHLY recommend the audio version, because it gives the story something that it is lacking in the written form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment